Scouting in India

Scouting started in India in the year 1909, when Captain T.H.Baker established thefirst Scout Troop in Bangalore and got it registered with imperial Headquarters, London. Subsequently, Scout Troops were formed in Kirkee (Pune), Simla, Madras, Jabalpur, Lonavla (Mumbai) and registered with the Imperial Headquarters during 1910 and 1911. These units were open to European and Anglo Indian Children only. The first Guide Company in India was started in Jabalpur, Central India in 1911.

As the Scout Movement was not initially open to the Indian boys, Nationalist leaders of India decided to offer Scouting activities to Indian Boys and Sewa Samiti Scout Association was formed with Headquarters in Allahabad by Pandit Madan Mohan Malviya, Pandit Hriday Nath Kunzru and Pandit Sriram Bajpai. Dr.Annie Besant with the help of Shri G.S.Arundale started a seperate Scout Association for Indian Boys in Madras.

Efforts were made for unification of different scout groups existing in India during the visit of Lord Baden Powell to India in 1921 and 1937 but failed. Major reason for the failure in unification was the promise clause which included the word “Duty to King”. Our Patriotic sentiments of our Nationalist leaders did not approve the allegiance to the British Empire and instead it was insisted that allegiance loyalty to the Country should be part of the Scout Promise.

Scouting Guiding In independent India

After the independence of our country efforts were made for unification of the Scout and Guide Associations functioning in India. Serious efforts were made by our National leaders like Pt.Jawahar Lal Nehru, the first Prime Minister of India, Mauland Abul Kalam Azad, the first education Minister of India,Shri Mangal Das Pakvasa, Governor of Central Province, and Scout leaders Pandit Hriday Nath Kunzru, Pandit Sri Ram Bajpai, Justice Vivian Bose and others for the merger of the Scout / Guide Associations. Dr.Tara chand, Education Secretary, Government of India made significant contribution in finalizing the merger deed. The final merger took place on 7th November 1950 and the unified Organisation came into existence under the Name “The Bharat Scouts and Guides”. The Girl Guides Association formally joined the Bharat Scouts and Guides a littlelater on 15th August 1951.

Constitution and Headquarters:

The Bharat Scouts and Guides is a Registered Society under Societies Registrations Act. It is totally voluntary, non-political and secular Organisation. The National Headquarters of the Bharat Scouts functioned from Regal Building, Connaught Place, New Delhi, till 1963.Thereafter, it shifted to its own building and is functioning from:

Lakshmi Mazumdar Bhawan , 16, Mahatma Gandhi Marg, Indra Prasth Estate, New Delhi – 110002. The National Headquarters building was inaugurated in the year 1963 by the then Vice President of India Dr.Zakir Hussain.

Scout & Guides in AECS Kakrapar

Our school is also associated with the national scout & and guide association of India. Students were trained and guides through various training camps. Total 32 scouts and 32 guides are enrolled in the school from the classes VI to VIII.

In-Charge: Scout:- Mr. Brahmpal, TGT Hindi/Skt

Guide:- Mrs. Sandya Wanjari, PRT